Friday, August 31, 2007

The Digestive System

Hello… I am a piece of cake. I was chewed by a boy and now I am put into his mouth. I am wet by his saliva. His digestive system has been doing his action.

In the mouth
I am bitten by his teeth and broken down into small pieces. His saliva from salivary glands makes me wetter. There is an enzyme in his mouth. It is ptyalin and changed me into sugar.

Esophagus
Here I go. I have to enter a long tube called esophagus. How can I go there? He swallowed me and squeezes me into that tube. There is a wave-like contraction that helps me to go to the stomach. It is called peristalsis. So he must not talk when he swallows me. It can make him cough.

Stomach
Now I am in his stomach. His stomach is like a bag. This is a temporary store for all the food that he eats. Here, I am broken down more so I become smaller. I am mixing with the digestive juices like enzymes and acids. They make me wetter. The acid and enzymes help me break down into a thick, creamy fluid called chyme.

Small intestine
My journey is in small intestine now. The small intestine is a long tube. It is about 3.5 to 5 centimetres) around, and it's packed inside the stomach. It would be about 6.7 meters. In this place I was further broken down into smaller molecules of nutrients that can be absorbed by the villi. Villi is a tiny-finger like. Then I enter his blood vessels so my nutrients will go to his body cells. Small intestine also gets a help from the pancreas, liver, and gallbladder. I may spend as long as 4 hours in the small intestine and I will become a very thin, watery mixture.

Large intestine
I am so sad because we are not one anymore. Parts of me go to blood vessels and the other parts are useless. The useless parts have to enter the large intestine. Large intestine is wider than small intestine. Here, I get another activity. The water from was absorb, recycled and reused back to the body. The liquid paste of me changed into the solid waste. My last place now is rectum before I go out by anus.

That is my long journey.

Bibliography
http://www.teachnet.ie/farmnet/images/Digest3.gif
http://trc.ucdavis.edu/biosci10v/bis10v/week10/digestive.gif
http://www.innerbody.com/image/digeov.html
http://library.thinkquest.org/5777/dig1.htm

6 comments:

ironhead said...

Hi i'm Raymond i hope everyone of you write a comment for my Digestive system and my Avatar.



Raymond (ray-ray)

Jane Ross said...

Good job Raymond! Can you write your bibliography properly?

Michelle Pranoto said...

Hi ray, this is Michelle P. I think you got 8/10 for this because you didn't put any facts. The other is good.

RaptorF22 said...

hi ray, Ray you just forget th facts. il give you 8/10 you did very good ray im impressed by your story.

Jane Ross said...

Hi Raymond. Your total score is 34/40. You got the following:
Knowledge 10/10
Spelling 5/5
Punctuation 5/5
Descriptive Words 4/5
Creativity 4/5
Relevant Pictures 3/5
Bibliography 3/5

Megatron Andrew said...

Your information & relevant picture about "Digestive System" is very good but you forgot to write when you access on your bibliography. You got 8/10, keep up your job!